Monday 26 March 2012

Page 11

Without letting the cat out of the bag, it looks like there are going to be some big changes in my life pretty soon... I won't say any more until I know for certain, but I am a little excited / nervous for the coming month!

Lately I've been making a bit of a fuss about some things that have been going on at work, but on the flip side of the coin, I have to give it up once again to everyone that has reached out and given me support (without even having to ask for it!) in the last few months or so. Even despite how hard I've been trying to make things work down here, it's really cool to know that there are people out there that really do care about my state of being. I've been feeling a little run down lately, and it only took one text from a friend to pick me up again! Even if things aren't going entirely how we want, just having good friends out there that care makes the uphill battle a little easier. So to you guys, thanks. :-)

Apart from that, I've been slogging out the hours as usual, and from tomorrow I'll be going onto night shift for a few days (or maybe even the rest of the week, I dunno yet...) so I've decided to treat myself - I need to go into the local Honda shop to get the right size for some gloves I've found online (and pricing on a new chain for my bike), and while I'm there I'm going to take a look at a 2009 CBR600RR they've got in stock...






The sales pitch reads: "This bike has travelled less than 700kms. It is the ABS model. It has also got original Honda Seat Cowl, Cabon Fibre Front Guard, Carbon Fibre Rear Hugger, HRC Tank Protector, HRC Fuel Cap Cover, HRC Triple Clamp Cover..." I think it's right on the button of what I'm going to be looking for in my next bike! I'll be posting my perspective in the next couple of days, in any case...

Something that came to mind the other day, which makes a good thing out of a bad: currently the big roundabout intersection just down the road from me is being torn up, making my daily commute a bit of a pain in the ass instead of the usual fun start to my day. However, I've started going the other way out of my driveway, taking the much longer route to work, but I arrive a lot more invigorated and happy! I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, to be honest! We all know by now that I love to ride, in fact I'll be out riding pretty much any opportunity I can get purely for the feeling of freedom, but the days I ride to work it's not the same at all. I used to enjoy going to work, now it's just another thing that just has to be done... Like mowing the lawns, or cleaning the bathroom... How many people actually enjoy those chores? Lol if you just said "I do!" you're mad in my mind... but each to their own I guess...!

The point I was trying to make is this: sometimes we fall into the trap of doing things the same way day in and day out, purely because that's what we're used to. Either it might be the way you were taught, or the way that used to be (or perhaps still is) easiest, or just the most obvious way that makes sense... It might even just be the way everyone else does it. But why do we have to conform? I would have thought that, especially as bikers, it becomes less and less important how other people view us, on our loud machines, looking like racers (or gang members!) standing out from the crowd is pretty much a given for us, right? But the question I ask is this: how far do you have to stand out to be 'seen'...? Wanting to be 'seen' is almost written into us as part of human nature I think, everyone wants to be seen in some way or another.

I personally take great fulfillment out of being seen as a biker, I feel like it's a good way to stand out from the crowd. It shows that I'm not afraid to be outside 'the norm'. Being that a large percentage of license holders in New Zealand (and the world) only operate vehicles with four (or more) wheels, I'd say I'm pretty safe in saying that bikers are the minority, or 'unpopular'. Me, I'm fine with being unpopular. But in saying that, the number of views my little scribbles on these pages is generating, I'd say I'm getting to be pretty popular too! And there's nothing wrong with that either.



Until next time...

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you want to say? Here's the place for it! :-)